Tuesday, March 24, 2009

praying distracted

things i have tried lately to focus prayer (and that have variously helped and not helped at all):

1) concentrating on the Arabic
2) trying to run Arabic and the English translation at the same time in my mind
3) purposefully setting aside my stethoscope and pager before starting and, with them, this world (well, mostly-- i answer the pager if it goes off just in case someone's sick, then i start over)
4) trying to clear my mind before starting and, to be honest, several times during as well
5) pausing when i notice my mind wandering
6) trying to be mindful of God during the day whenever i remember to
7) and offering my sincerity and my effort when i feel like my concentration is just not measuring up

sisters, what do you try?

3 comments:

  1. Salaams sis. I find myself distracted at times too and I just ask Allah to guide me back to the right path. To become and stay focused. I tell myself, snap it out it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wabaraketu, sister!
    I sometimes have trouble with concentrating too. Some days are better than others! One thing that works for me is, for the "quiet" prayers (Dzuhr and Asr) I move my lips to the Arabic and whisper very very softly, and just think in the English. I can't think in the English and Arabic, but if I move my lips to say the Arabic but think the English, it really helps me to concentrate. :-) Sometimes I have to pause and re-focus, too! There is a hadith that says that Rasulullah, salalahu alaihi wa salam, said that during prayer we need to pray to Allah like we can see Him. But if we can't achieve that level of devotion, we need to remember that HE can see US! That's something that helps me to focus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asalaam alaikum,
    My advice is to make sincere dua that you can become more focused in your prayers. I also found this ebook on Developing Khushoo very helpful. http://www.a2youth.com/ebooks/developingkhushoo.php I too, am working to learn Arabic and find myself struggling between the Arabic words and English translation. InshAllah I hope this helps. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete